The armed robbery of a local business in January leads off 36 grand jury indictments for the February-March term.
Justin Tremane Simon, 25, of Henderson, was arraigned by Pct. 5 Justice of the Peace Joe Sorrells Jan. 25 on a first degree felony aggravated robbery charge.
Simon’s bond was set at $30,000.
According to a Henderson Police Department arrest report filed by Deputy Chief James Pierson, at about 7 a.m. Jan. 24 dispatchers relayed a call of an aggravated robbery that occurred near the 1100 block of U.S. Highway 79 N.
“There were no injuries either during the robbery or during the arrest, as far as I can tell,” said Lt. Craig Sweeney, HPD criminal investigator.
HPD reports also indicate a handgun was used in the alleged incident, Sweeney added.
“The suspect was described as a black male wearing dark clothing,” he said. “Officer David Miley observed a black male in a field behind the business kneeling down to hide from a patrol car passing up Wilson Street.”
Pierson said the suspect was holding a black item described as a bag and coat and allegedly fled toward Wilson Street on foot. Pierson and Lt. Jessie Reese located the suspect as he attempted to cross Wilson Street.
Pierson said the suspect was identified as Justin Simon and arrested on an outstanding parole revocation warrant.
Officers allegedly found cash and a crumpled $2 bill — reported among the cash taken during the robbery — on Simon, Pierson said.
Miley found the black jacket Simon was carrying hidden in the bushes behind a house near the 700 block of Wilson, Pierson said.
“Shoe prints matching those worn by Simon were located near the scene of the robbery,” he said. “As well as at more locations on the trail between his apprehension and the scene.”
Simon was placed under arrest for aggravated robbery after investigators contacted William Brown, criminal investigator for the Rusk County District Attorney’s Office.
Under Texas law, a first degree aggravated robbery is punishable by five to 99 years in a state prison and/or a fine not exceeding $10,000.
Other indictments returned for the February-March term include:
• Anthony K. Arterberry, 44, Overton, unlawful possession of firearm by felon.
• Derick Lee Atkinson, 34, Henderson, driving while intoxicated.
• David Don Atteberry, 45, Kilgore, theft of property.
• Keith William Bennett, 41, Longview, unauthorized use of vehicle, evading arrest detention with vehicle, and manufacture delivery of controlled substance.
• Brant Edward Biggs, 36, Kilgore, theft of property.
• Clinton Ted Bison, 28, Karnack, possession of marijuana.
• Frances Costlow, 56, Henderson, assault family/house member.
• Rodney Lynn Costlow, 37, Henderson, aggravated assault with deadly weapon.
• David Wayne Flores, 47, Overton, sex offender’s duty to register.
• January Sunshine Ford, 43, Cedar Park, possession of controlled substance.
• Kathryn Sue Ford, 59, Huntington, possession of controlled substance.
• Gabrielle Deshawn Garrett, 19, Henderson, burglary of habitation.
• Kelly Hall, 37, Henderson, possession of controlled substance.
• James Michael Haskins, 47, New London, theft of property.
• Marcus Bruce Holidy, 45, Mount Enterprise, driving while intoxicated.
• Phillip Kilby Holliday, 20, Bryan, possession of controlled substance.
• Marvis Derek Liebal, 38, Mount Enterprise, theft of property.
• Lora Beth Lopez, 40, Kilgore, theft of property.
• James Brent Malone, 43, Henderson, possession of child pornography.
• Bennie Faye Nelson Medford, 51, Henderson, possession of controlled substance.
• Rene Jamie Medina, 40, Henderson, driving while intoxicated.
• Christopher Mendoza, 20, Henderson, possession of controlled substance.
• Darron Adolphus Murphy, 27, Henderson, possession of controlled substance.
• Gregory Franklin Ragan, 43, Kilgore, theft of property.
• Clayton Reeder, 41, Henderson, driving while intoxicated.
• Mikeal Alldon Reeves, 23, Tyler, burglary of habitation.
• David Lynn Shields, 47, New London, theft of property.
• Arthur Lee Skinner, 45, Overton, burglary of building.
• Roy Edward Smith, 32, Tyler, tampering with a witness.
• Jaques Starling, 20, Henderson, aggravated sexual assault of a child.
• Joshua Daniel Steddum, 26, Henderson, possession of controlled substance.
• Clarence E. Thompson, 41, Henderson, theft of property.
• Karri Lynnette Tyler, 30, Longview, possession of controlled substance.
• Denzell Deshard Walker, 20, New London, burglary of habitation.